Carpenters Road, Stratford
The origins of the
area go back to 1767, when the Worshipful
Company of Carpenters purchased "a freehold farm consisting of 63
acres of marsh land lying in the parish of West Ham".
Stratford was a tiny village in Essex, and the farm sold vegetables
and milk in London's markets. The construction of a railway
line through the area saw revenues from agricultural lands fall,
prompting the Company to lease the land for industrial and
residential use. In 1861 the first leases were taken, and trades
such as matchmaking, linen manufacture, chemical processing and
distilling developed on the estate.
Factories before and after the war included Clarnico’s; the
timber firm Glixtens; Yardleys; the Fish Mill; Boake Roberts; Excel
Pies; Jenson’s and Nicholsons and, tucked just into Warton Road,
Rice’s the furriers.
As with so many of London's factories, most if not all
these are no more. The area itself is set to be subsumed into
the Olympic Park by 2012.
RLH71 demonstrates the need for low-height
on route 178 at Carpenters Road in March
1971. Drivers were instructed to proceed at no more than 5
mph under the bridge.
From the RLH
Information Centre site
Photo © David Pring 1971, used with