Known as Derleston in 1294, Dalston was still a hamlet in
1800, mainly owned by the Graham family, for whom Graham Road is
named. Just to the east, London Fields is recorded
from 1540 and presumed named from its position at the London end of
Hackney's busiest local road.
The erstwhile military barracks in
provided the site for Dalston bus garage, home
to most of the routes being operated on Easter Sunday. The
garage closed in 1981 and has been redeveloped for housing.
The Havelock Arms
, almost opposite and
used as the destination for Dalston garage journeys on route
, has also vanished.
Before the garage closed in 1981, Keith Foster
photograph Routemasters and caught RLH23 marking the 10th
anniversary of the end of the 178. A collection of Keith's
photos are attached
Preserved RLH23 visiting Dalston garage in
RLH23 will be running on the 178 on Easter
Photo © Keith Foster 1981, used