Red RF routes

Route 108

Page last updated 20 February 2013
 
No pictures of RFs on the 108, I'm afraid, but this is Bromley by Bow High Street in 1953.  RF445 leads another RF and bears a 208 blind from a Scooter.
Note Barton's Cooperage in the background.
Photo © Alan Cross
 
Dates of RF operation

10 Jun 53 to 4 Jul 53

and

? April 1967

 

Destinations

BROMLEY BY BOW Edgar Road and BROMLEY BY BOW Devas Street

 

RF Garages

D      Dalston

 

Reason for single-deck operation

The temporary working used Devons Road to link the Seven Stars terminus in Edgar Road with the short-working terminus of the main 108 in Devas Street.  Devons Road has a 12' bridge under the railway.

 

By a happy coincidence, the Barton's Cooperage building bears number 108.  Their Leyland Beaver ENJ903 in this 1952 photo demonstrates the amount of empty space being carried when transporting barrels, no doubt destined for local breweries.

Photo Arthur Hustwitt Memorial Collection © NA3T

 

Route history

The history of route 108 is provided on the 208 page, as the 208 (formerly 108D) started life as a short-working of route 108.

 

The reason for inclusion here of a separate page is that a temporary supplementary service was twice introduced on the 108 at Bromley by Bow, first on 10 Jun 53 and second 'at the end of April' 1967, because road works (in 1953 possibly on the bridge at Bromley by Bow Station, in 1967 on St Leonards Road) made through-running impossible.  The period of the 1953 single-bus shuttle was 3½ weeks, but in 1967 is not known.  The main 108 service (and in 1967, the 108A) terminated south of the road works at Devas Street, and it seems likely that its timings were retained with a longer lay-over.  Certainly in 1953, there was no change to the main allocation.

 

The workings were not recorded in traffic circulars or allocation books, but internal LT records from 1953 provide details of the dates operated.  Formal blinds would not have been manufactured for such a temporary working, but it is possible that a paper label (not necessarily the same size as a blind panel, nor displayed in the blind box) would have been displayed in 1953.  In 1967, blinds reportedly read 'Emergency Service'.

 
RF route in detail
BROMLEY by BOW Edgar Road, High Street Bromley by Bow (return via St Leonard's Street, Bruce Road to Edgar Road), Devons Road, Devas Street, BROMLEY by BOW Devas Street (return via St Leonard's Street, Marner Street)(terminal working presumed, direction not known).

 

RF allocation

PVR 1953 (Jun): Mon-Fri 1, Sat 1, Sun 1

PVR 1967 (Apr): 1

 

Map extract © Philips 1930, showing 1953 details