Now get out of that without moving ...Red RF routes

Route 224A

Page last updated 26 December 2014
 
One of the Uxbridge routes serving West Drayton, the 224A replaced part of the 223.
 
Dates of RF operation
10 Jun 59 to 8 May 62
(total 2 years 11 months, all crew operation).

 

RF503, one of the OMO-converted batch not yet allowed to work with driver only, stands at Uxbridge Bus Station on 2 Sep 61, by which time the short-working could equally well have been numbered 224, 224B or 224C.
Photo © Vectis Transport Publications, Peter Gomm collection

 

Destinations

UXBRIDGE STATION and WEST DRAYTON Mill Road (Mon-Sat)

 
RF Garages
UX    Uxbridge
 

Reason for single-deck operation

The low bridges at Yiewsley and West Drayton Station restricted routes through Cowley to single-deck.  In 1961, the road at West Drayton was lowered (allowing the double-deck 223 to be extended southward, replacing the 222.  Soon afterwards, the layout at Yiewsley was changed (we don't know how, but the railway didn't close until 1964).  The 224 was not double-decked until 1963, but 224A, 224B and 224C were converted a year earlier. 
 
Route history

From 1948, the 223 (which arrived in West Drayton from Uxbridge via Colham Green rather than Cowley) was extended daily to operate to West Drayton Mill Road, The Anglers Retreat.  When part of the 223 was double-decked with STLs in July 1951, it worked in two sections, with the southern section which passed under the West Drayton railway bridge remaining single deck and working to Mill Road.  On 16 Feb 55, the single-deck section was discontinued and replaced by the T-operated 224A, from West Drayton Mill Road via Cowley to Uxbridge with short workings from West Drayton Station to Uxbridge. 

 

In October 1956, the Ts were replaced by two TDs, Uxbridge's first.  In January 1957, the 224B commenced operation, taking over and extending the 224A short workings and taking over half of its Saturday service; November 1958 saw withdrawal of the afternoons-only Sunday service on the 224A.  Along with other members of the 224 group, the 224A was converted to RF operation in June 1959. 

 

In early 1961, one of the barriers to double-deck operation, the bridge at West Drayton, was rebuilt. While the road was closed, RFs on the 222 provided the service through Cowley and the 224A operated only the short local service to Mill Road.  In March 1961, the bridge now open, the road through Cowley, still restricted by a further low bridge at Yiewsley, was now served only by the 224 group.  This second low bridge was dealt with shortly after, allowing the 224A to be converted to RT on 9 May 1962.

 

The end came on 15 January 1971, the 224A being partly replaced by a rerouting in West Drayton of the 224B to Stockley Estate.

 

RF route in detail, with timing points

UXBRIDGE LT Station, Bakers Road, Belmont Road, High Street Uxbridge, Vine Street (return via Windsor Street ), Cowley Road, High Street Cowley, Cowley Station Road, High Road Cowley, High Street Yiewsley, Station Forecourt, West Drayton Station, Station Forecourt, Station Road, Swan Road, The Green, WEST DRAYTON Mill Road  (Mon-Sat)

 

Frequency

Year Mon-Fri Sat Sun
1959 48-60 mins 30-60 mins -
1961 48-60 mins 30-60 mins -

 

The route took about 20 minutes from end to end.

 

Faretable

A 1965 faretable for the route (then RT-operated) is here.

 
1961 bus map © London Transport
 
RF allocation
PVR 1959: Mon-Fri 1 (+1 ex 224B), Sat 2, Sun -
PVR 1961 (joint with 224B): Mon-Fri 2 (+1 ex 224C), Sat 6, Sun -