Charlton staff buses
Page last updated 13 March 2016
One of the first staff buses
to serve Charlton Works was STL2669, one of the 'unfrozen STLs'
built in wartime. It was converted in 1955 to towing lorry
1017J and lasted until 1965. It is seen here in 1965.
Charlton Works in Felltram Road (not to be confused with
the Cohen breakers yard in Penhall Road) was to the Tram &
Trolleybus Department what Chiswick and
Aldenham were to the Central Bus
Department. From its beginnings as a horse tram works,
Charlton repaired and overhauled trams and trolleybuses; the last
trolleybus was overhauled in 1959.
Before the post-war replacement of trams by
buses, there were three staff trams to bring workers in to
Charlton. As the tram-to-bus conversions occurred, so the
trams were replaced by buses, until after 5 Jul 52 there
were three staff buses. These were STLs 2668, 2669 and
2675. These remained in use until they were replaced by pre-war
STLs with pre-selector gear boxes. Eventually RT2s were used until
Meanwhile from about the mid-1950s, as
Charlton was being run down, staff were being used to fill
vacancies at Fulwell. A staff bus was provided to convey
staff involved to FW. It appears that 10T10 T697, based
at Plumstead, was used from 7 Mar 55 to 31 Jan 57, when
replaced by post-war T785 until it suffered an accident at Fulwell
on 28 Jun 57. It was replaced the following Monday
by T781. This continued in use as a staff bus (at
Plumstead, then Abbey Wood with a spell at New Cross) until 30 Sep
62, when T787 took over, but by then the trolleybuses had
finished and we don't know where it operated to.
[Thanks to Les Hampton for much of this
information; we hope to present more in due course]