Until a hundred years ago, Carshalton was just a village
near Sutton in Surrey, although for most of its history Carshalton
was a far larger place than Sutton, the latter only overtaking
Carshalton after the rail junction arrived. One of a string of
towns and villages that lie along the spring line to the north
of the North Downs, Carshalton was notable for the Ponds, one of
the sources of the Wandle, and its lavender fields up on the downs.
The London, Brighton and South Coast railway arrived in 1868,
with Carshalton station (just north of the ponds) lying between
Sutton and Mitcham. From the late Victorian period until the
1930s, the village grew to merge with Sutton to the west and
Wallington to the east and spread up the hill to the south over
farmland and common land. Classic suburbia.
The other branch of the LBSCR passed through the parish on its
way to West Croydon, but until 1906 there was no call for a
station. In that year, a halt was opened on what had become
known as Beeches Avenue - Carshalton
Beeches station celebrated its centenary earlier this year.
In the same year, the South Metropolitain Electric Traction Co,
a subsidiary of BET, opened its electric tram line from Sutton Green to Croydon. The
old road past the pond being
unsuitable, a new road was specially built to the south, east
from the Windsor Castle - Ruskin Road. Ironically, this
is one of the few roads to have lost its bus service in recent
years. Buses will return on 15 April 2007.
Carshalton Ponds will present some attractive
photo opportunties. The local wildlife takes off
for a closer look as RF486 approaches the
bridge. This road will be used on 15 April 2007 by
double-deckers, but not RFs.
Photo © Steve Whitelegg 2006