Carshalton Beeches is the name given in the early 20th Century
to the area south of Carshalton, deriving from the line of mature
trees along what is now Beeches Avenue, running south from the
This area was open fields and common land when it was divided by
the building of the railway from West Croydon to Sutton in
1847. It was however some time before the railway opened the
area for development, as no station was provided at that time.
It was in 1906 that a halt was opened at the north end of
Beeches Avenue, the same year that the tram service between Sutton
and Croydon opened. Beeches Halt was served by steam
rail-motors (early multiple units) running between West Croydon and
As development continued, demand increased and the Sutton to
London line was electrified in 1925 using overhead electric.
At that time the halt was upgraded to a full station, renamed
Carshalton Beeches, and the road bridge was rebuilt. As third
rail became standard across the Southern Region, the overhead was
replaced in 1930.
Several generations of slam-door trains served Carshalton
Beeches before the present day sliding door stock was introduced,
now operated by Southern. A display featuring the history of
the area and its transport services is mounted inside the booking
hall of the station.
A commemorative booklet was
produced by Southern and The Rotary Club
of Carshalton Beeches to
mark the centenary in 2006.